
Things started off pretty poorly. I got to my first stop, opened the trailer door, and saw that the huge wall of beer and liquor had fallen over. My load bar had slipped, and about 150 cases fell over. I spent 2 hours picking through everything, trying to find what had broken, and stacking everything back up.
I should have taken a picture, but I had other things on my mind.
Other than that, the rest of the trip went pretty well.
I don't know why, but these small towns always have tons of cool old cars lying around. I found this old Ford in Panaca with a 2x4 propped against it.

The Bank club of Pioche has a cool antique bar.

The Bank club was built in 1860 as a stage stop for Wells Fargo, and latter served as a bank. The old Vault still exists, and now keeps the liquor safe from thieving hands.

Its in a back room, where no one can see it, but still pretty cool.
The service station where we tried to get a new alternator a few weeks ago has a wall full of tools.

and here is downtown Pioche:

The next morning I drove up to Ely. Driving up was especially fun for some reason. All the things I love about driving trucks kept popping into my head. Pulling up Connors Pass I was constantly shifting gears to keep my speed up.

In the upper range each gear is split into high and low range, and its really quick to shift: flip the red switch, let off the accelerator, then mash your foot back down and you're in a new gear!
I love the rumble of the truck, especially when its a throaty growl of the engine working hard.
With the sun behind me, the shadow of the truck was right in front of me. I love watching the heat boiling out of the pipes!

And coming down the hills, there is something so cool about hitting the Jake and hearing the truck roar!
My Aunt and Uncle have a neighbor in Yuma who used to own the New Ruth Club, so I took a few pictures for them:




Ruth is an interesting little town, where dogs run the streets, and most things are still sitting where they were last parked in 1976.
This road grader is parked in the middle of the park:

The sign on the closed gas station is advertising gas for $1.34!
And here is the Commercial club:

In Ely this Episcopal church has always caught my attention

I stopped in at Economy drug for a milkshake. They have an old fashioned soda fountain.

In the year or so I delivered Pepsi to Ely I never stepped in to check it out. It was probably out of spite, because they only serve Coke products there.

I still had a lot of free time on my hands, so I walked down to the theater.

When I delivered Pepsi, I had a key to let myself in and drop off their order. The theater is pretty neat inside. The Art-deco theme continues inside. The screen was made out of silver (its been replaced I'm told) and the seats are stuffed with horsehair. When the theater was originally built, it was made for live performance, but then this new movie stuff came out and they put in a screen and a projector.
Anyways, another exciting trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment