It's a little three bedroom, two and a half bath house in a nice neighborhood. Its a small house at 1300sf, and it sits on a lot that is barely bigger than the house. It's a two story house, tile downstairs, and carpet upstairs in the bedrooms. Its in the far Northwest corner of the city. When you drive out to Mt Charleston look out to your left as you leave town going under the Durango overpass-that's where I'll be! I'm just across the street from the park and the pool, so that's pretty nice.
I've been thinking about buying a house for about a year now. I was so close to building one about 6 months ago, but the mortgage, HOA, SID, and other fees added up were just barely on the edge of affordability, so I shelved plans to buy a house.
Then, my friends the Martins, came into some financial hardship. The construction project Joseph was working on finished, and there were no more construction jobs to be found. Lacey had been bugging me to buy her house for a while, but I just kind of shrugged it off. "Yea right, I'm not going to buy your house!"
But as the housing market here continued to slide the prices their neighbor's were selling for went from being kind of affordable, to affordable, to where they are now, where I figured I would be a fool to pass up an opportunity like this.
We've been working on a short sale with their bank since November. My goodness the process has dragged on and on, but the mortgage consultant, Realtor, and title company were all impressed with the speed that the deal has been made.
There was a lot of waiting around for the Martins bank to decide if they would accept the short sale. That took almost 2 months, and then it was my turn to get things taken care of. Tons of emails, phone calls, and signing of papers. At one point I was ready to strangle the loan officer, because I would give her some document, she would tell me that was all she needed from me, and then call the next morning to ask for some other document, over and over again. And the whole time I was afraid that all this would be for nothing.
When I had looked into building a house before I ran into credit trouble; not that my credit was terrible, but that I didn't have any! My truck has been paid off for several years, and the one credit card I had when I moved to Las Vegas had gotten me into enough trouble that I decided I didn't want one anymore. All my payment history had fallen off the books, and I had a 0 credit score. I was afraid at every turn that the bank would call me up and say that they were really sorry, but they couldn't help me out. I'm not worried about the payments. The HOA, mortgage, taxes, all that stuff will be a lot less than what I'm paying now for a single bedroom apartment. isn't that crazy?
Speaking of help though, I need to thank my parents. They had offered quite a while ago to help me with the down payment on a house, and even after all the waiting they were still willing to give me a hand. I really am very lucky that they were able to give me some financial aid, and talk me through the whole process. Every time there was some financial question, my mom had the answer and could tell me what to do. When I started getting worried about things my dad always had an uplifting word. The whole thing has made us closer. I've talked to my parents probably 5 times a week for the last few months. Thanks Mom and Dad!
The last week has been killing me. My bank called to let me know the loan had the final approval.
They told me I needed a cashiers check for the title company. the next day I was told they wanted me to wire the money. Arggh! So I went through this huge process at my credit union to work out the wire transfer. They had just started some new policies to avoid wire fraud, and I was the first person any of the tellers had had to do a wire transfer for with the new procedures. Then, because it was late in the day on Friday, they couldn't make the transfer until Monday. The bank wouldn't fund the loan 'till I made the down payment, so I burned up another weekend waiting. I had to pack instead. Yesterday I was waiting all day for the realtor to call and tell me everything was ready and I could come get the keys. You know the story though; a watched pot never boils.
The title company was really cool though. I walked in and they had my name on the plaque: "Welcome Mr. Norton" That was neat, and then they had a leather bound drink menu with about 50 different drinks, and a snack basket so we could have something to eat while we went through mounds of papers. And then It turned out that the title guy was LDS, and was in the same ward as one of the counselors from my bishopric! The whole experience was very good! If you're buying a house you generally get to pick the title company, so give Noble Title a call. They were super nice! The Realtor was also very cool and helpful. Her name is Kelly Albright. If your looking for a realtor I'll give her your name.
There's a lot going on right now. It's kind of weird to own the house that I was a guest in so many times. Things will be really weird when the Martins come over for a visit and my things are in their house!
There is no service of any kind in the house right now, so I spent the afternoon arranging for locksmiths, and water, power and gas. Tomorrow I will be looking at carpet cleaners, and cleaning supplies The bottom three feet of the walls have tiny little hand prints everywhere!
Mostly I'm glad to finally own a house. I'm paying myself to live, not some landlord to let me live. I can play music in the morning while I get ready for work and not worry about waking the neighbors at 3:30 AM. I'm just glad to have something that's mine!
Anyway if you've got questions I haven't answered hit me up in the comments below and I'll try to answer as best as I can (you don't have to register or anything). If your thinking about a visit to Vegas, make sure to call me! I'll have at least one spare bedroom for guests, and I love to have friends and family over! and yes I'm going to throw a big house warming party when I get all settled in-probably the first weekend of April if you want to come.
I've been thinking about buying a house for about a year now. I was so close to building one about 6 months ago, but the mortgage, HOA, SID, and other fees added up were just barely on the edge of affordability, so I shelved plans to buy a house.
Then, my friends the Martins, came into some financial hardship. The construction project Joseph was working on finished, and there were no more construction jobs to be found. Lacey had been bugging me to buy her house for a while, but I just kind of shrugged it off. "Yea right, I'm not going to buy your house!"
But as the housing market here continued to slide the prices their neighbor's were selling for went from being kind of affordable, to affordable, to where they are now, where I figured I would be a fool to pass up an opportunity like this.
We've been working on a short sale with their bank since November. My goodness the process has dragged on and on, but the mortgage consultant, Realtor, and title company were all impressed with the speed that the deal has been made.
There was a lot of waiting around for the Martins bank to decide if they would accept the short sale. That took almost 2 months, and then it was my turn to get things taken care of. Tons of emails, phone calls, and signing of papers. At one point I was ready to strangle the loan officer, because I would give her some document, she would tell me that was all she needed from me, and then call the next morning to ask for some other document, over and over again. And the whole time I was afraid that all this would be for nothing.
When I had looked into building a house before I ran into credit trouble; not that my credit was terrible, but that I didn't have any! My truck has been paid off for several years, and the one credit card I had when I moved to Las Vegas had gotten me into enough trouble that I decided I didn't want one anymore. All my payment history had fallen off the books, and I had a 0 credit score. I was afraid at every turn that the bank would call me up and say that they were really sorry, but they couldn't help me out. I'm not worried about the payments. The HOA, mortgage, taxes, all that stuff will be a lot less than what I'm paying now for a single bedroom apartment. isn't that crazy?
Speaking of help though, I need to thank my parents. They had offered quite a while ago to help me with the down payment on a house, and even after all the waiting they were still willing to give me a hand. I really am very lucky that they were able to give me some financial aid, and talk me through the whole process. Every time there was some financial question, my mom had the answer and could tell me what to do. When I started getting worried about things my dad always had an uplifting word. The whole thing has made us closer. I've talked to my parents probably 5 times a week for the last few months. Thanks Mom and Dad!
The last week has been killing me. My bank called to let me know the loan had the final approval.
The title company was really cool though. I walked in and they had my name on the plaque: "Welcome Mr. Norton" That was neat, and then they had a leather bound drink menu with about 50 different drinks, and a snack basket so we could have something to eat while we went through mounds of papers. And then It turned out that the title guy was LDS, and was in the same ward as one of the counselors from my bishopric! The whole experience was very good! If you're buying a house you generally get to pick the title company, so give Noble Title a call. They were super nice! The Realtor was also very cool and helpful. Her name is Kelly Albright. If your looking for a realtor I'll give her your name.
There's a lot going on right now. It's kind of weird to own the house that I was a guest in so many times. Things will be really weird when the Martins come over for a visit and my things are in their house!
There is no service of any kind in the house right now, so I spent the afternoon arranging for locksmiths, and water, power and gas. Tomorrow I will be looking at carpet cleaners, and cleaning supplies The bottom three feet of the walls have tiny little hand prints everywhere!
Mostly I'm glad to finally own a house. I'm paying myself to live, not some landlord to let me live. I can play music in the morning while I get ready for work and not worry about waking the neighbors at 3:30 AM. I'm just glad to have something that's mine!
Anyway if you've got questions I haven't answered hit me up in the comments below and I'll try to answer as best as I can (you don't have to register or anything). If your thinking about a visit to Vegas, make sure to call me! I'll have at least one spare bedroom for guests, and I love to have friends and family over! and yes I'm going to throw a big house warming party when I get all settled in-probably the first weekend of April if you want to come.
10 comments:
From experience with little fingers...clorox wipes work wonders. Magic erasers work great but NOT on the walls...it will take off the semi-gloss and you'll be able to tell. I have short kids that like to use clorox wipes...they can help you take care of the walls.
Congrats on buying a house! That's pretty awesome. It sounds like it was quite an ordeal getting all the paperwork done.
QUESTION: I know there are a lot of opinions about HOA's and SID's... some people love them, some people hate them... and others are anywhere between the two extremes. How did you decide that you wanted to buy a home in an area with HOA and SID fees? Do you think you will appreciate the amenities they provide? Or are they something you're just willing to put up with because you liked the home and mortgage cost? Did you also look for homes in areas without a HOA or did you know when you started the process that you wanted to live in an associated community?
We feel your pain on the whole, stupid, 'ask for documents, then call the next day for more papers' crap! Congrats! Its wonderful to own a home!
Wow Reuben that's a pretty involved question. Just on principle I'm against HOAs. I think they are too often used for little people to leverage a lot of power over a few of their neighbors. I think they rob people of the chance to get to know their neighbors , and deny them a chance to serve each other.
For example, after we graduated from high school my dad opened a bakery. Running the business took most of his free time, and as a result the yard began to suffer. The guy next door understood my dad's situation, and began to mow the lawn every sunday when he mowed his own. When he watered his lawn, the sprinkler always got set in our yard too. This is the epitome of being a good neighbor, and there is nothing that my parents wouldn't do for this guy or his family. If this had taken place in a community with an HOA, the neighbor most likely would have complained, a nasty-gram would have been sent to my folks, and if the yard work wasn't done in a day or two a landscaper would be hired, and a bill sent to my parents. Which of these is a better situation?
One the other hand, there is a neon pink house on Rainbow and Flamingo that I drive past on my way to work every day. It would drive me nuts to live down the street from it.
In my case there are two swimming pools and a couple of parks in the neighborhood. Without the HOA I don't see how they would be maintained. Also, I like the palm trees in the median, and not having to take care of the couple of bushes in front of my house.
Did I consider a house without an HOA? Not really. As Las Vegas has grown, it bumped up against land owned by the BLM. The BLM would sell some of the land in tracts of 1000,s of acres, and land developers bought them and built these large master planned communities. Basically any new home built in the last fifteen years has been in some sort of HOA. There are some that aren't, but these are huge custom built homes with 10 bedrooms and seven figure price tags. Older homes are in undesireable neighborhoods with high crime rates. I knew I wanted a house that was fairly new, and so I knew I would be buying one in an HOA. I looked over the community rules to make sure there was nothing to onerous, and I hadn't really heard my friends complain that the HOA was too overbearing. There are a few things that are silly. Gas BBQs are ok, but charcoal is not. I'm a ham radio operator, and so I'm sure I'm going to test the limits of their antenna ban.
Anyway, I don't like HOAs, but I do see their usefulness as long as they don't become reincarnated Nazis. I do plan to try to get on the HOA board.
Does that answer your question? I doubt you have an HOA in MN. What are your thoughts on them?
I feel similarly about them. I oppose them mostly on principle. I don't really have much experience with them. Every so often you hear about some HOA horror story where the HOA goes nuts on some guy that's just trying to paint his house or something, but I'm sure most HOA's aren't like that. You're right that there aren't many HOA's here in MN, especially not in the older neighborhood where I live.
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! This is so much better than waiting for me to call so you can express your love for me!
Yay BJ! I have to say I am pretty jealous! But now we will have to come visit you! Congrats!
congrats!!! that is so exciting
That is super exciting!! Welcome to the wonderful world of owning your own home!!
Congrats again! I can't wait to see pictures! And I guess I'm glad I wasn't "that darn loan officer" lol
Post a Comment