Wednesday, August 19, 2009

making a splash

So the other day when I was doing the dishes I noticed the water dripping from my hands into the sink and it got me thinking about a few blogs (Digital Photography School & Strobist) I had read about snapping photos of water drops.

Well, I'm easily distracted, and it didn't take long till I had the camera, tripod, and a speedlight out. Then I was faced with the problem of getting water to drip slowly and regularly. A broom, a folding chair, and my belt got me started. Its a pretty comical arrangement, but photographers are interested in the photos, not the cheesy setup.

After a few test shots I got the focusing locked in, and started snapping away.

With something like this you take the shotgun approach, and just blast away, knowing that you'll get something cool eventually.

I did get some pretty good shots, but I was dissatisfied with the setup I was using. I had the water dripping into a small bowl, the one I normally eat cereal out of, and I didn't like that even though I was zoomed in as far as my lens would allow, the edges of the bowl were still in the frame.

So today I stopped into Home Depot and purchased a paint tray liner. At $1.67 I figured it was a cheap investment. Then down the street to the Buy More, I picked up some large sheets of multi-colored poster board.

I got home and set everything up again, but the first thing that happened--the tray liner was too big to fit in the sink, and was too weak to support its own weight when filled with water. Well that was nuts, because I was hoping to exploit its' white color with food coloring, or colored lights.

I found a big stock pot and that worked! Anyway, here are some of today's results:

and then I added the poster board.

You can see it added some dramatic coloring!

then I got fancy and put two different sheets side by side:

So now you're wondering how this all works? Well, there are two ways you could do it.

The first would be to have a really, really bright room, like a green house, or just outside on a bright day. Then you could take pictures with a really fast shutter, and capture that 1/1000th of a second when the water splashes. It is hard to take the sink outside though, and removes a lot of the creativity you can explore.

Or you could use a flash.
Think of the last time you were out dancing and they had a strobe light on. Everyone started moving in those weird, jerky steps, like they were in a flip book or something. I'm doing the same thing here. One, brief pulse of light "freezes" everything. For these I'm using a Nikon SB600 on a short cord to get the flash off camera and pointing at the background. The light bounces off the background, and that is what colors everything. I keep the room pretty dark, and I have the flash dialed down to its lowest settings: 1/64 or 1/32, which provides the shortest light pulse I can get. I had to bump up the power a little to deal with a relatively small aperture (f 16 I think) so that I could increase the depth of field.

You can see the water drops of others on flickr (some great ones are BrettMorrison, SteveP!, and drippy2009) or by googling: strobist water drop.

Also drippy2009 has a blog, that is doing stuff that makes my pictures here look like a kindergartner's finger paintings. He has drips colliding in mid air, crown splashes with red, white and blue in the same splash, and a Geisha captured perfectly in a falling droplet of water. Simply amazing! He lays out how he has done everything, and I think I will try some of his techniques. If they work I'll post the results here later.

6 comments:

Shanna said...

Very impressive....I'll be sure and have Jonathan read this post. He will love it!

Anonymous said...

Those are some really cool pitures. I am impressed!

Erin said...

Yeah, these pics look like they came out of a magazine, awesome! So far, I'm trying to learn how to meter, and to use my digital grey card for wb.

steveP said...

Hi, I would like to say you have put together an excellent tutorial and thanks for the thumbs up to my Flickr... I would also suggest googling mariotte syphon as this allows for timing the water drops by adjusting the height of the pressure tube, try for about 10 drops a second and you can achieve the collison shots, anyway just wanted to say thanks and hope this helps... Best regards SteveP

Brett Morrison said...

Thank you so much for the mention. I am thrilled to see my photo mentioned along with SteveP and Drippy2009 who have many of the best water drop shots I have seen. I have a couple of good ones but no focus on any one topic such as drips so I don't think I'll ever be a fantastic photographer of anything, but it is always fun.

Enjoy the process as much as the results and keep practicing. The apple in a drop photo that you linked to took many nights of repeating the same techniques to get that shot.

By the way, I recently found http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea_laybauer/ who has some interesting dip photos too. She is adding objects in the water like this one to either create or accent the splashes.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked my blog. It's not *too* hard to do those splashes.. Just takes perseverance and imagination (some luck helps too!)

Drippy2009