Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Engine Woes

So Sunday, on my way home from Manti, I started hearing some funny clanking sounds from under the hood of my pickup. I was really really worried that a valve was taking a beating or that I was just seconds away from throwing a rod through the engine block.

Obviously if I punched a hole through the side of the engine, it would be time for a new one, and I was afraid that might be the same situation If I bent a bunch of valves - pretty darn expensive!

I felt pretty blessed to make it all the way home without having to call a tow truck. I was at the mechanic shop at 6:30, before anyone at the shop even got there on Monday morning. I let the mechanic listen and he was pretty sure he would have to take off the valve cover to see what was going on. I gave him the keys and took off.

My apartment is about 9 miles from the mechanic, and Monday was one of the first true Las Vegas summer days. For most of June we enjoyed lower than average temperatures, but the high pressure finally kicked in and we were up around 106 on Monday. I might have walked or even tried to ride my bike if it was a little cooler, but I was afraid I would melt if I tried in the heat.

I've always been a little afraid of the buses here in Las Vegas. One reason is I hate them with a passion! They stop in the middle of the road and back traffic up into the intersection and then screw up traffic for everyone. I've seen some of the weirdos and disgusting bums that ride the bus, and I wanted nothing to do with that either. I've listened to some of the idiot drivers on my police scanner and shudder every time I think about sharing the road with people that stupid driving something that big.

At the same time I've had a bit of a masochistic urge to ride the bus. Just to see how creepy the passengers really are; if the experience would be as bad as I imagined; maybe I would even get mugged!

I was sure that unless it was something completely trivial that my truck would be at the mechanic for a day or two. So I printed out bus schedules and got some cash to pay my fare after I left the mechanic. I even mapped out the bus routes I would need on the regional transportation commission's website. They suggested three different buses, and an hour and sixteen minute total travel time!

I drove to the mechanic in less than 15 minutes.

So I decided I would try and cut out a few bus transfers and just walk a mile or so, so that I could just catch the bus route that runs in front of my apartment complex.

On the walk though I got a little hungry, and wouldn't you know it there was a Denny's right there! so I stopped and ate breakfast. Then I decided to wander the aisles of Home Depot across the street just to look at all the cool tools and stuff. I even practiced tying a bowline knot in the hardware aisle.

Finally I got to the bus stop and I had timed it just right! The bus pulled up just after I crossed the street. I walked on, but the machine you pay your fare with only accepts one dollar bills; I had a twenty. That was a little disappointing. So I stepped off the bus and headed towards the grocery store to break my twenty. But then I saw tropical smoothie cafe was open! So I got a smothie and some change. Whohoo!

I checked the bus schedule to see when the next bus was coming.

Not for another twenty stinkin minutes!

Now I was a little ticked off.

But there was nothing I could do, so I whipped out my phone and started typing my last post.

When the bus finally did come I was bummed out! There was no litter strewn around inside, no wierdos, wackos, or vagrants. No criminals, or drug dealers or prostitutes. No one even asked me if I wanted a piece of gum or some watches that fell off the back of a truck! It was quite clean, and quiet. Everyone else pretty much kept to themselves, and was playing with their phone like me, or staring out the window.

I was starting to get worried though. As we got closer to my stop I couldn't figure out how to signal to the driver that I wanted to get off. I was expecting a cord or something along the window, or a bell to ring. I didn't see anything like that. I kept hearing the voice over the intercom saying "stop requested" at about every stop, but I couldn't figure out how to do it myself!

Finally I saw about every other pole had a button on the side that said stop. Phew, I wasn't going to have to wait for someone else to stop the bus!

Just about a block away from my stop the mechanic called. They had popped the valve cover off the engine and determined that the timing chain was about to disintegrate and that was the noise I was hearing. My truck has a V-6 engine and each side has its own timing chain. Since they were going to have to take the engine out to replace one belt they suggested that I replace both. The other chain was probably getting pretty worn and it wouldn't take much extra labor to replace it. His estimate:$2500! I was pretty shocked. I figured a valve job might run $1500 and that was one of my major worries. I told him I would think about it and then called my dad to get his opinion. He had been napping when I called, and the price stunned him into silence! We decided there really wasn't anything I could do though. I need a car, and $2500 is what it would take to get mine back on the street.

Today the mechanic called again. I was pretty excited. He had told me it might take as long as 4 or 5 days to get my truck all fixed up. I have been sleeping on Jamie's couch so that she could drive me to work in the morning. After two nights on the hide-a-bed I was ready for my independence, and my cuddly little teddy bear!

Unfortunately he was not calling to tell me the truck was fixed. They had really started tearing things apart today and found that the right side timing belt was about to go too. I expected that. You would think that they would be equally worn. No biggie though, I had already given them the go-ahead to replace it.

Then he starts to tell me about the oil tubes in the engine. One of them that goes to the top was completely blocked, and there was some pretty bad damage due to oil starvation. A few of the rollers had been ground down to bits, and he was surprised the motor was still running.

Not good

He suggested two alternatives.

The first, he would replace the timing chains and try to repair the rollers. Then he would call his Rabbi, we would all say a little prayer, and I would be on my way.

Or he thought he could get a re-manufactured engine and just junk the original. The new engine would come with a three year warranty, and he thought this was the best course of action.

I agreed with him. I could never really trust the motor knowing the problems that might come back. I drive to see my parents in Elko quite often, and most of the highway doesn't have cell coverage. Any engine problems I might have would leave me stranded in the desert with no way to call for help. And the money I had just spent to try and repair things would just have been wasted.

I called my mom and she agreed.

So, instead of the $2500 I was planning on spending, I have now upped it to a hair over $5500. A new motor + 21 hours of labor to install it + miscellaneous parts, means I will be indebted to my parents for about two years!

At least Jamie's couch is next to the fan!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

It sounds like my supervising skills could have come in handy this weekend! But... I have gained a tad of a conscience and might have felt bad... for not helping, so maybe it was better that I didn't go.